Friday, September 7, 2012

Numbered Athlete Profile-No.32 Melissa Ferrari

What being a numbered athlete means to me.

I feel extremely privileged to arrive in this place where I have number 32 on my sleeve and can wear my Crossfit Penrith shirt so proudly. Becoming a Numbered Athlete is an honour I had never dreamed of achieving. It cements for me my commitment to our fantastic community of Crossfit Penrith and it reminds me how far I have come. Wearing my shirt proudly means I represent an environment of athletes that means a lot to me and that I will always represent with confidence and pride. Last year (2011) I competed in Crossfit South West Sydney First Birthday Games Day, Crossfit Neverquit Affiliate Showdown and Crossfit Aphesis – Last Man Standing “Beyond Failure”. I enjoyed every single minute and plan to participate in more games days in the future. 

No.32 Melissa Ferrari
Age: 44
Height: 160cm
Weight: 10kg less than when i started CrossFit and working towards my goal of 62kg
Started CrossFit:When CFP box first opened 
Occupation: Psychotherapist
Status: Happy

Strengths
Deadlifts: 80kg
Back Squat: 53kg
Squat Clean: 32.5kg
Power Clean: 37kg
Strict Press: 25kg
Front Squat: 52kg

Favourite WODS 
Any WOD's with Deadlifts
Least Favourite WODS 
Any WOD's with Rope Climbs

Fun Fact: 
I Can't stand to watch any movies with aliens and creatures with weird looking heads

9 comments:

  1. Yay Mel!

    I love your kind spirit. You are welcoming to everybody, you encouraged me to enter comps when I felt I was not even close to the level I needed to be to do it. And you were right! It was so fun!

    I admire your commitment, when even though you were battling unknown health issues that put monumental obstacles in the way of your achievement, you still persisted. And now, you are truly seeing your potential and that brings me joy. I am also slightly cross that your back squat is now more than mine!

    So congratulations on this milestone. Thank you for being part of CFP, I love the way you have drawn people together, that is a true gift,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your numbering Melissa. It is well deserved and I know you are very proud and appreciative of what it means.

    You have inspired me (and I'm sure others) to push my myself both mentally and physically. I thank you for that as you have given me much motivation and I'm going in my first Crossfit games in just over 1 weeks time because of it.

    Wishing you continued health, fitness, and strength. It is my privilege to come along for the ride and to be a part of what you offer both in Crossfit and in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Melissa it is sooo deserved you got knock down you stood up again when things got so hard you kept going. You just wouldnt take no for an answer still dont.

    You truly deserve this number because you will cherish it

    ReplyDelete
  4. A truely deserved congratulations Melissa. Achieving a "number" requires real commitment and tenacity. Whenever I have worked along side you at the box, I have admired your spirit and enthusiasm.
    You are an inspiration to the whole CFP team. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Melissa, you are a much deserved numbered athlete! I dont train with you often but you are always there at games days or events to participate or cheer!!! Like Jen said you have had some obstacles but you always work out how to get over or around them, true crossfitter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A BIG Congratulations Mel on achieving your number. I know it hasn't been easy for you so VERY well deserved. Truly Inspirational! It's been great training along side of you at the 9:30am WODS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations Melissa. You deserve all your achievements as you are so committed to your goals. You look great! LaB-G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becoming a Numbered Athlete means different things to different athletes. I not only get the opportunity to Coach Melissa in our groups but also for Individual sessions. It's during the one on one sessions where we have probably learnt most about each other. I've witnessed stumbles, uncertainty, tears, fear, PB's, more tears, confidence, trust, you name it and sometimes all in the one session lol.
    The common theme is how deserving this accomplishment is for Melissa, but in my opinion what makes it so valuable to her is that it had to be earned. A large part of the process is so far removed from the comfort zone of her academic elite gene pool and it's this tenacity, dedication and value she puts on it that does it for me. Congratulations Melissa, you have earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you to everybody who has posted here about me. Your support is very much felt. I would like to say a few things about my coach Glenn Mitchell. You are a man that has helped me achieve goals that I would have never have dreamed of in my life. Becoming a Numbered Athelete, doing stuff my body was never capable of and giving me the confidence to tackle anything.

    As my coach there are qualities in you that I personally needed. The main quality is that you have the biggest heart in the world. When you encourage and support an athlete you do it with your heart and soul and that's the key ingredient someone like me needs. It is a unique quality that I believe can't be taught and you have it. People look for different styles in different coaches and your style is what helped me "reach the stars". You are an excellent programmer to CFP as well as the director, coach, bbq organiser etc...but mainly you are a "thinker". You think about what an athelete needs individually and you set yourself forth to make things happen that as an athlete I would have never dreamed possible. You see people as individuals with different requirements and to me that takes skill.Thank you to my coach Glenn as you contributed greatly to me achieving this goal in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.