Ever think about the potential effect we could be (or are) having on the mindset of young girls? What's it like to grow up with the norm being that your mother clean and jerks in addition to cleaning the house? What's it like to grow up hoping that you can beat your aunt at deadlifting? What's it like to grow up as a young girl really knowing that achievement matters more than appearance?
Whats your opinion to all this?
Post to comments
No doubt there is beauty in strength.
ReplyDeleteI want all of the women in my life to be strong physically and mentally, I want my future daughters to be strong and athletic and feel the power that I am forging for being the best they can be physically and mentally.
I am so proud to know and call friend all the girls and mothers at Crossfit Penrith.
Beautiful amazing women.
RAAAAAA!! Guess who's back??
ReplyDeleteAs DC said, no doubt there's Beauty in Strength, and for those of you who don't know, well I'm having that permanently placed on my left shoulder shortly.
I hope that my daughter sees that appearances aren't everything, achievements last forever, appearances don't......
I like that fact that I'm not a normal mother, I can see that when I pick Christian up from school, I am different from the other mothers, but that pleases me. Yes, I can Clean and Jerk, in addition to cleaning the house (albeit not very often), but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I'm proud of my achievements far more than my appearance, and I hope Lara grows up feeling the same way. No doubt she will, hanging out with the gang at CFP.
I will second you V and thankyou for your kind words Daniel to all us women and girls at CFP. I am proud to call all of you friends and that my two awesome kids are so well accepted and encouraged by all of you, and your commitment to physical well being. I am no ordinary Mother and am proud to be ME and hope that I have (No, I Know I have) instilled in my two children that you only have one chance at life, surround yourself with like minded, positive people and do your best in every thing you do. CFP is such a positive atmosphere to be in and I am grateful we are all a part of it. Friends for life. Adios Amigos. Lynne
ReplyDeleteWhere to start... being a Dad who wants his daughter to find out firsthand, the joys and benefits for herself of not only working out but mixing with others who do...
ReplyDeletethe self confidence and mastery that comes from powerful and vigourous physical activities that are essential for long term fitness, wellness and health...
... the hard to describe intangible, yet pricelessly positive mental rewiring that accompanies the whole thing...
.. of comparing the values and behaviours they'll find in others in the world that don't practice this stuff for life and the ensuing disappointments and dullness in those that just don't or resist doing so.
I agree wholeheartedly with DC and I totally support all the women and girls (yep Courtney you are already an unofficial role model for the other younger daughters around not officially competing yet !)
But is because collectively you all are leading by example - pure and simple - it simply sets for my Issy a no brainer choice...
Something I am passionate about for myself and because that example is not always being set as the norm for her 100% of the time, an example that is all the more obvious by contrast.
There... got that one off my chest.
Very, very, very important. :-)
I think what you all have said is all spot on!
ReplyDeleteHealth followed by achievements should always be held over appearance. So be it that by being healthy and achieving awesome feats of strength and movement in the gym also enable us to have outstanding physiques.
Welcome back VM! The gym and it's community has missed you around here! ;)
Got a rowing machine in my backyard now so its hard to rest...
ReplyDeleteWOD 3 Rounds
500m Row
20 Push Ups
30 Situps with 5kg medicine ball above head
Time:12.21
COURTNEY FITZ :)
ReplyDeletehaha V ur bak :P yay!! missed u lol.
DC, COL u both are awesome people to be around and i love working out with u :)
aswell as all the other CFP crew ur the best, i love the encouragement i receive off al of u i appreciate it very much.
I to put my achievements way before my appearance. Yes your appearance comes with how u train because it changes obviously the way u look. But i would rather concentrate on my achievements/goals in life then spend all my time worrying about how i look :)
Crossfit can have (and has had) a huge impact on the mindset of both women and girls. In my earlier teen years i suffered from self esteem issues to say the least. Yes, that part of my life was in the past but it wasn't until i started doing crossfit that i now feel like i am utterly and completely rid of those thoughts and feelings.... I can now step onto a set of scales and not care what the number reads. Whether it's gone up or down doesn't matter to me because i know i'm getting stronger and fitter (both physically and mentally) and that has been what's made me happiest. That, for me, has been one of the things thats given me the biggest sense of achievement while i've been a crossfitter, and it's not even WOD related really. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful thing to write Glenn sometimes after a long day you feel like you are cleaning for the jerks!!( NO NO do have the best kids in the world and they are my world!) What I like most about the crossfit is using your strength to achieve a purpose not to look in the mirror (hell who wants to look in the mirror) and just pump muscles.I too love the feeling of being stronger and fitter.
ReplyDeleteThanks to everyone for being a great bunch of human beans